Monday, November 14, 2011

Block prints at Kara!

The latest addition to our crew of block prints, these polka prints are on 100% cotton table napkins, on sale here!
New prints with a custom-carved linoleum block, on sale soon!
I've been meaning to write about our new block print collection, but have been so busy printing and shooting for the collection that almost ran out of time! So here is the update:

As this past summer drew to a close and our first promotional sale was off to a fabulous start (thank you shoppers!), we got back to the drawing board for some new directions. I've been wanting to work on surface printing for a very very long time, so I decided this was going to be the perfect opportunity to develop a new line for Kara Weaves.
Had so much fun printing this pattern for the festive collection. Printed using custom-cut rubber blocks.
I've kept the patterns geometric, keeping in mind the clean lines that we love at Kara. It obviously keeps the cutting on linoleum simpler, but I also like the textures I'm getting inside the blocks of color. Especially love seeing the natural fabric weave texture through the inks and how the colors of the print and weave interact with each other.
Detail of the print on the ZigZag table cloth, sold out but soon available in black!
I'm so thrilled to say that the first few editions are already sold out and I'm working on some new ones for next week! These lovelies are printed with non-toxic, water based inks that are heat-set for permanence. Here are some more pix of the making and product-shoot.
Some sunny bright stripes on the hair-wraps.
Been loving the binary code for a while now; here is a sample set I hung up above my desk, while they dried.
I was visiting my cousin Sandhya in New York city, so I got her to model the wraparound in Central Park :)


My beautiful friend Malika poses in the hair-wrap.
Is that an elephant? Amidst the polka dots? :)

Some of these are sold out, but we're taking custom orders; drop me a line for more!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...